Surprise at Jerome Boateng abuse trial. The Bavarian Supreme Court overturned the verdict against the former German national player. The court upheld the football professional’s appeal, as well as the appeals of the public prosecutor’s office and the co-plaintiffs. The case was sent back to the Munich I Regional Court. The process should be renegotiated there.
Boateng’s lawyer Leonard Waliszewski sought to overturn the verdict last October: “The process was shockingly unfair,” he said, adding, “Defendant Boateng was ultimately convicted before the appeals process had even begun.” At the time, the ex-national player was convicted of assaulting his ex-girlfriend during a Caribbean holiday in September 2021 – and sentenced to a fine of 120 daily rates of 10,000 euros each, a total of 1.2 million euros.
Boateng’s lawyer criticized the fact that Boateng’s “right to a fair trial has been violated.” Waliszewski also criticized the judge: “The presiding judge was not neutral, he was not distant.” The lawyer also said that the judge himself was involved in rejecting the request out of bias against himself. Obviously there are enough reasons to completely overturn the court’s decision.
This will make the extremely long legal dispute even longer. In September 2021, Boateng was found guilty (as previously reported) and sentenced to a fine of 1.8 million euros. He was accused of attacking and injuring his former fiancee during a Caribbean vacation in July 2018. According to the prosecution, he beat her, punched her, bit her on the head, threw her to the ground and abused her violently. But the footballer appealed against the fine. However, he was found guilty again in November 2022. This time a fine of 1.2 million euros.
However, the former Bayern player protested his innocence. So his defense lawyer appealed. The next round of talks took place (today) on Thursday, September 21. However, Boateng did not have to appear in court in person. Instead, he was represented by his lawyer. This was the third round of a long process.