The government in London has announced an inquiry, following the verdict against British nurse Lucy Letby for the murder of seven babies and the attempted murder of six others (eXXpress reports). Health Minister Steve Barclay announced that further circumstances of the nurse’s actions should be clarified in a public process.
Letby was found guilty at a Manchester court on Friday of killing six babies in a neonatal unit in the city of Chester in 2015 and 2016. The sentence is expected to be announced next Monday.
Several doctors, who had issued warnings in the beginning, leveled serious allegations against the hospital management. Pediatrician John Gibbs, who is now retired, told Sky News on Saturday: “We need to look at why it took so long for the management to agree to involve the police.” Another doctor who worked with L told ITV he believed four or five of the children killed could now be schoolchildren, concerns that had been heard before.