On September 21st, the day of world peace, the rally “Soldiers for Neutrality” will take place, at which soldiers will work to maintain Austria’s perpetual neutrality. The program has now been finalized – you can find all the information here in the article.
A guest contribution by Andrea Drescher
The program of the “Soldiers for Neutrality” rally is now set. On 09/21/2022, the International Day of World Peacewill be on Square of Human Rights soldiers of the army to maintain the legally anchored everlasting neutrality call. Two former officers from Germany will also appreciate the importance of a neutral Austria.
- Opening with music: national anthem
- DI Mag. Günther Greindl, retired general: Neutrality as a component of international security
- Hans Gaiswinkler: Is neutrality even possible? An attempt at a philosophical approach.
- Oliver Jeschonek: Mediation and the Military – a Contradiction?
- Wolfgang Effenberger, retired Major (Bundeswehr): Doubts about the official reasons for the war from 1949 to the present day
- Olaf Thiede, retired captain of the former National People’s Army (NVA): The NVA of the GDR at the interface of two military blocks
- Hermann Mitterer: Neutrality: Security Policy Instrument and Essential Element of Austrian Identity
- Gottfried Pausch, retired colonel: Austria’s neutrality is more important than ever!
- End with music: national anthem
Why this rally?
On May 15, 1955, after years of negotiations and setbacks, Leopold Figl and the Allies signed the state treaty. On October 26, 1955, the National Council decided on Austria’s “permanent neutrality” as the first constitutional law.
On March 3rd and 4th of this year, 70 percent of the Austrians surveyed answered the question “How important is Austrian neutrality to you personally?” with “very important” and another 21 percent with “rather important”. So for 9 out of 10 people in our country, Austria’s neutrality is a sign of identity and a stabilizing factor. Two thirds of those questioned are against Austria joining NATO and only 17 percent are in favor of it.
The soldiers mentioned above raise their voices for maintaining Austria’s neutrality and vehemently demanding the necessary funds for an effective national defense!
Term & Ort
September 21, 2022, 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m
Human Rights Square, Mariahilfer Strasse 1, 1070 Vienna
Additional information: www.soldaten-fuer-neutralitaet.at
Contact for queries: [email protected]