Every day new, horrific details about the Bucha massacre become known – and the number of dead rises and rises. Late on Wednesday evening, the mayor of the formerly thriving small town, Anatoly Fedoruk, reported that three more mass graves had been found. As of Wednesday evening, 320 bodies had been discovered in Bucha, which were now being examined by specialists. “But the number of bodies discovered is increasing every day,” Fedoruk said. “Because they are found on private property, in parks and in places where it was possible to bury the bodies when there was no shelling.”
According to the local authorities, in the course of the investigations, the indications of Russian war crimes are now increasing. About 90 percent of the civilians killed had gunshot wounds, Anatoly Fedoruk said in an interview with Deutsche Welle on Thursday.
Mayor Buchas said he himself witnessed several cases in which Russian soldiers killed Ukrainian civilians. At a checkpoint, Russians opened fire on several cars. A pregnant woman and two children were killed in a car. Now Ukrainian and international authorities were working in Bucha. “The most important thing is to bring the criminals who did this to justice,” Fedoruk said.
The devastation in the city around twelve kilometers northwest of the outskirts of Kiev is enormous. “112 private houses were destroyed to the ground and cannot be rebuilt,” Fedoruk said. Much of the information has not yet been independently verified, but the burden of proof against Russia already seems overwhelming in many respects.