More than a year after explosive allegations of harassment became known, the United Nations has separated from its technology officer Fabrizio Hochschild. “I can now confirm that the United Nations’ internal accountability process for Mr. Hochschild has been completed,” UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric said in New York on Wednesday. The service of the high-ranking official for the UN had been “ended”.
However, the results of the investigation, which according to internal documents was already completed in August, were not announced. It also addressed discrimination and abuse of power.
The case caused a stir at the United Nations headquarters in New York because the allegations made by several women against Hochschild hit a representative of the highest management level. In addition, according to information from the German Press Agency, the allegations had reached the office of UN Secretary-General António Guterres weeks before Hochschild was promoted to technology officer – this had caused a lack of understanding among those affected and parts of the workforce. However, the UN chief asserted that he only found out about the allegations later.
Spokesman Dujarric said on Wednesday that Guterres stands by his decisions on the matter. After his leave of absence a year ago, the Chilean had continued to draw his full salary – the 58-year-old had worked for the UN for more than three decades. Hochschild said on his official Twitter channel that the investigation had not confirmed the allegations of sexual harassment. He also apologized for being an overbearing boss who asked too much.