Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai made serious abuse allegations against former Chinese Vice Prime Minister Zhang Gaoli earlier this month. This is said to have forced her to have sex. The tennis player wrote that on the online network Weibo, before the entry was deleted half an hour later. Then the Chinese athlete disappeared from the scene. According to the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA), she is said to be safe. This was confirmed by Steve Simon, chairman of the WTA. Confirmation has been received from several sources, including the Chinese Tennis Association, that Peng Shuai is safe and is not being physically threatened.
The WTA issued a statement over the weekend that expressed “deep concern” about Peng’s situation. One must also investigate the allegations “completely, fairly, transparently and without censorship”. There was no statement from the Chinese government on Monday either. Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian has “heard nothing” of the issue. Peng Shuai has never appeared in public since the abuse allegations. Fans, players and former tennis professionals started a search under the hashtag #WhereisPengShuai.