On Tuesday, the responsible federal court in Washington rejected an application by Donald Trump to block the release. An application was filed on Thursday. In this it says that the court should approve an injunction. This is intended to enable a renewed appeal against the release. It is a matter of achieving a “short break” in this regard in order to enable the appointment.
Trump has so far insisted on the so-called executive privilege in his lawsuit. This is the president’s prerogative to withhold certain information from Congress or the courts. However, the court in the capital Washington stated that executive privilege exists to protect the executive branch and not an individual who is also no longer president. The privilege does not exist “forever”, it said. The White House has already announced that Trump’s successor, Joe Biden, will not stop the transfer of documents from the National Archives.
Supporters of Trump stormed the seat of the US Congress on January 6th. Five people were killed, including a police officer. Trump had to face impeachment proceedings over the attack. At the end of the trial, however, he was acquitted.